Astonishing X-Men Comic Book Book Club Discussion This Saturday
When: Saturday October 4th, 2014 at 4 pm
Where: Google Hangout. Kriss MTR. This will be my first time using Google Hangouts like this so bear with me if there are some technical difficulties.
What: I've put together a pretty good panel of people of varying comic book experience who are going to join me and discuss the first 6 issues of Joss Whedon’s Astonishing X-men run. The first six issues are “Gifted”
Here are some of the discussion points we’ll be having. These are just some points to get us started and are in no means the only things we’ll discuss:
- How do you feel about the makeup of this X-Men team and how does it compare to some of the X-Teams you’ve seen/enjoyed in the past?
- Emma Frost being not only a part of the X-Men but having a significant leadership role.
- The relationships between characters (both romantic and non-romantic)
- A big part of this arc surrounds the mutant cure and the choices faced by mutants and the lines being drawn. Discuss the idea of “curing” the “mutant disease” or accepting it as who a person is.
- The writing style of Whedon to inject humor right at the moment when you think things are about to be serious
Spend this week catching up on these 6 issues and then join us during the Google Hangout (Bookmark this page because I'll be putting a link up to the live show soon). If you can't join us live, leave us your thoughts on these 6 issues in the comments section and I'll make sure I bring them up during the show.
Here's the Google Hangout Event